Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Beauty in Expression

I remember that day like it was yesterday…

Dressing in my “Sunday Best,” I headed to see my first touring musical with my family. I was eight years old at the time.

I thought for sure this performance would be just like I imagined: wonderful energy, magnificent music and complete enjoyment…

…and it was.

But what I didn’t expect was finding just as much enjoyment watching the American Sign Language interpreter as the actors and actresses in the actual musical.

She took such pride in her signing. She commanded the corner of the room where she stood. With every gesture, you could see, not only enjoyment and enthusiasm, but also passion and happiness. She exaggerated her facial expressions to such an extent that it became a struggle just to try to stop watching her. It was as if she were one of the actresses who was determined to put on a brilliant show for her audience…

…and I wanted to be part of it.

Fast-forward about 13 years, one month, and 21 days later to today.



I was standing as a teaching assistant for American Sign Language 3, signing with a friend when I thought about the way in which American Sign Language has allowed me to express myself: when words fail, ASL works miracles.

I found myself signing worship songs the other day because my emotions overtook me and my hands expressed what my heart was speaking. Yes, it sounds crazy or even a little ridiculous, but American Sign Language has become a means of expression that, as cliché as it sounds, allows me to praise the Lord in a way I never imaged.

Who would have thought that in the span of 13 years, the Lord could work in unimaginable ways. 

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, 
who have been called according to His purpose."
Romans 8:28 (NIV) 

There’s beauty in praising the Lord.

There’s beauty in American Sign Language.

There’s beauty in expression.


No comments:

Post a Comment